Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Paint stripping finally done! For now, anyway...

Some of the professional Airstream renovation guys strip the inside of all color and polish the panels to shine. I really thought that this is a great look even if it shows a lot of imperfections and scratches that have accumulated in the metal over time.
So I read up on the Airforums how to best strip the paint layers and original Zolatone. Unfortunately, the best way to do it is quite laborious involving lots of Citristrip 2 gallons of Mineral Spirits and about 40 plastic razor blades.  It took me about three weeks to get all paint layers removed. It feels great to be done though I doubt that the aluminum can be polished at this point. The Zolatone left some sort of etched marks on the aluminum, which may not be polished out. I may have to sand the metal first before it can be polished.      
The trailer is much brighter inside with all that reflecting light from the metal. That's what I wanted so all is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment