Monday, September 23, 2013

Interesting heating

Naddy had an interesting heating setup. There is  huge Suburban furnace installed under the sink. I don't know whether it is original or not because the galley cabinetry needed to be modified. It is extended (pushed out towards the isle) by 2 inches due to the depth of the furnace. There is also not enough space left for kitchen sink traps due to the height of the furnace.











The ducts leaving the furnace are routed under the sub floor across the isle, landing under the fridge cabinetry. From here is routed front and backwards BUT NOT in aluminum duct to two outlets, one at the front (next to entrance door) and one in the back under one of the twin beds. The duct is simply some non-airtight wood framing. That sounds all wrong to me.    
I think routing in the belly pan can not be a good thing - thinking temperature differentials.
I also do not like non-aluminum duct work.
I guess it is more likely that a PO put this in.

So my plan is to use a brand-new Suburban furnace especially since they are smaller now. Ideally I would use one without ducts.  But since Naddy is 23' long, I may construct some aluminum ducts on the furnace side to the front and back. Certainly there will be no ducts in the belly pan!   :-)
    

1 comment:

  1. 58 and on the duct ran in the belly. It is an oval pipe. In 1966 it all came back above the floor.

    ReplyDelete